Thursday, December 16

from now on our troubles will be out of sight

you know what song just kills me this time of year? "have yourself a merry little christmas". it's just so melancholy. every romantic comedy that takes place around christmas uses this song as background to the scene where the lead actress is wandering through busy, snowy New York streets at night, and pausing in front of the window displays, dismally watching other couples laugh and point and kiss, knowing that they are literally going to go home and dream by the fire, or she stares at the china pattern she and Tom Hanks were going to have, and her eyes well up with tears. and the camera cuts to him, sitting in their favorite restaurant, on his fourth whiskey on the rocks, staring at the television which is showing ice skaters at Rockefeller Center, and the bartender looks on knowingly (bartenders always look on knowingly).

it's just such a sad, mournful song. it's so innocent. somehow that makes it sad, to me. so hopeful--from now on our troubles will be out of sight. if only it wasn't set to that tune. so easy to slow it down, burst into tears.

of course, the faster, more cheerful ones are irrespressible and wholeheartedly irritating. and fake. but this one has some soul behind it. so maybe it's also my favorite one. not because it's depressing. it reminds me of my childhood, i guess, which always makes me a little melancholy, just like looking back on anything beautiful makes me feel. is this entry ridiculous? maybe. if i wasn't bored at work listening to fourth graders practice it on their clarinets in the next room, and maybe if they hadn't been playing it for the last half hour...maybe i'd be a bit more peppy.

hey, happy holidays. :) may your days be merry and bright.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malinsk said...

I've always felt indifferent toward those Penny and Gary Marshall movies set in New York. I feel like for the people who have at least been there all the Gershwin and Porter etc. along with the epic skyscraper shots ring a chime in their memory, ambiguous to whether it's harmonic or dissonant. Is it really what New York is like on Christmas or Valentines Day or, you know, whatev?

I am familiar with not insignificant feelings spawning along with songs from this season. Personally your insight on this song (and as with most other things) rings that chime in my head, and I start to ache a little bit. A little morose, a little somber. Jingle Bell Rock makes me wanna choke someone, partly because it's on repeat from Dec1-Jan7 over all the stations I might try to listen to, but mostly because it's a lie. Enya or, I dunno, Yanni rocks more than that song, is what I'm saying. F-in Riverdance sets my toes a-tappin' before that does.

I've always felt passion during Dec, but most people, were I to say those words aloud, would probably misunderstand the nature of that heat. You don't have to - just one more thing to make you special.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Malinsk said...

God, I feel like that song is playing in my life right now. Not double forte, not that distracting. I just feel so fuckin morose, like it could only be so bad since there's this song. Too in tune Carol, too coincidental.

7:18 PM  
Blogger butta said...

i think i just watched that movie.
i think.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Malinsk said...

I just went to my cousin's 5th grade band concert (I'm in Baltimore visiting family atm). Guess which song they played for the finale.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home