Tuesday, February 7

every song i sing once was currency

you know what is really satisfying? doing laundry. being graced with--or cursed with--living all but one of my years in my hometown, i spent most of my post-adolescence doing laundry at my mom's house. easy. simple. free. replete with interesting stain-removal products and plenty of good, expensive, brand-name detergent. plus i got the added bonus of raiding the fridge and catching up on family gossip every sunday when i went home.

then my mom moved out, and now my aunt is moving in, and now it's just sort of weird to go home. but that's not the point. the point is, that for the first time (with the exception of germany, but it's different when you pay in euros, plus the washing machines are way weirder over there, and i never really knew what the hell was happening to my clothes, i pretty much would just guess at what the dial was telling me and picked a different setting every time), i am washing my clothes in my apartment building.

i have a cute little basement-y area with two washers and two dryers, right next to our little storage closets (one for each apartment in the building). it makes me feel like i am living in a city. not to mention, how great do laundry rooms smell?! especially when they are large storage areas and the warmth has room to grow and spread into the corners like sweet icing on a cake. the smell of fresh sweet detergent and warm, heavy air. concrete floors and sudsy sinks. admit it. you love it too. i hope when i own a house i have a huge laundry room with vents everywhere that leak the scent into all the other rooms. maybe i'll just have one big room. mmm.

and now it's almost 3 am and time to curl into blankets and nestle myself to sleep. another nice thing about laundry is even if your day was boring, and unstimulating (read: 9 hours of work), you go to bed late and feeling wholesome, healthy, clean, warm, and productive. my mother would be proud.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm

i was searching my name on google cause i was bored.

and i found your blog

haha

hahahaha

i miss you

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home